Strictly Come Dancing will return to television screens on September 19 when the launch episode of the revamped BBC ballroom competition reveals this year's celebrity and professional pairings.
The opening show will be pre-recorded, with the live competition launching the following weekend on September 26 as the new cast of stars perform on screen for their first judges' scores.
No couples will be eliminated during the first week of live performances. The first celebrity elimination of the series will instead take place after the second weekend of dances and public voting on October 4.
BBC producers confirmed that the series final will air on December 19, just days before Christmas Day, concluding the revamped autumn broadcast schedule.

Ellie Taylor announced as It Takes Two host
Comedian Ellie Taylor was officially revealed over the weekend as the new host of weeknight spin-off show Strictly: It Takes Two. Taylor, who previously competed as a contestant on the main show in 2022, steps into the role following an extensive overhaul of the presenting line-up.
Emma Willis, 50, who hosts a Saturday lunchtime programme on BBC Radio 2, broke the news publicly during a special broadcast after months of media speculation. Willis introduced Taylor to listeners, saying, "With me right now is the brand new host of It Takes Two! Mystery host of It Takes Two..." before confirming her identity and expressing delight that they were working together.
Speaking on the radio broadcast, Taylor expressed her excitement about returning to the series format. "I am over the moon! I feel giddy. So nice to get the secret out. I've had the theme tune in my head since I found out... I was like "stop it woman!"" she said.
Taylor added that keeping the appointment confidential had been a challenge since learning of the role. "It was the same when I found out I was a contestant. I am so thrilled to be back in the Strictly world. I found out a month ago, but I've been a good girl," she explained, noting, "I told mummy and my partner. I didn't tell the kids."

In an official statement released alongside the announcement, Taylor reflected on joining the spin-off show. "What a total joy to return to Strictly in this new role. I feel incredibly honoured to follow in the footsteps of the phenomenal line-up of hosts who've made Strictly: It Takes Two so loved over the years," she said.
"I can't wait to immerse myself in all the gossip and sequins flying out of the ballroom in order to bring my fellow Strictly fans everything they need to know. I'm so excited, I could cha cha! (But I won't, don't worry, no one needs to see that again.)"
Major presenter overhaul across the main show
Taylor was heavily tipped for the spin-off position earlier this month after former presenters Fleur East and Janette Manrara were replaced following their stint hosting the 2025 series. The appointment forms part of a wider restructuring of the BBC flagship franchise ahead of the 2026 series.
Long-serving main presenters Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman have been replaced by a new trio comprising Willis, comedian Josh Widdicombe, and professional dancer Johannes Radebe. Several long-standing professional dancers have also been dropped from the roster.
A production source told The Sun that senior executives were eager to secure Taylor for the companion show after considering her for the main presenting role. "Ellie was hugely popular with viewers when she appeared as a contestant on Strictly in 2022, and her infectious personality was also a hit with the senior production team," the source said.
"She very much featured in the discussions when they were looking to replace Tess Daly and Claudia Winkleman on the main show, and although she didn't get that job, she remained in the executive team's thoughts. They were very keen to get her on It Takes Two which they felt was too boring and needed a major revamp."

Taylor previously danced on the 2022 series alongside professional partner Radebe, who has now been promoted to co-presenter on the main Saturday night show.
Host preparations and promotional photoshoot
Willis returned to her BBC Radio 2 show following a multi-week holiday break, confirming that production preparations for the new series were in full swing. She told listeners that Friday marked her first full working day alongside co-presenters Widdicombe and Radebe as the trio completed press commitments.
Teasing the spin-off reveal on air, Willis told her audience: "It's a Strictly special. Because I'm going to introduce you to the brand new host of It Takes Two, they're in the building and coming into the studio!"
The following day, Willis and Radebe were photographed arriving for an official Strictly promotional photoshoot alongside the newly announced celebrity contestants. Willis wore an androgynous outfit featuring a cropped, unbuttoned waistcoat over a sleeveless shirt and trousers, styled with her signature slicked-back cropped hair, minimal makeup, and thin wire-framed glasses. Radebe arrived wearing a white jumper.
Fan backlash over celebrity line-up
Despite the enthusiasm from the new presenting team, the 2026 celebrity line-up has faced significant criticism from long-time viewers, with some branding the cast "the worst to date."
The highest-profile names in this year's cast include television personality Dani Dyer, singer Delta Goodrem, actress Jaime Winstone, television presenter Will Best, and Gavin & Stacey actress Melanie Walters. However, television audiences have complained that many other cast members are unrecognisable.
Critics have highlighted that several of the professional dancers are now better known to the general public than the celebrities they are partnering. For instance, contestant and YouTuber John Nellis lacks a Wikipedia page, despite commanding a YouTube subscriber base of 15.7 million. Similarly, celebrity hair stylist Chris Appleton, known for working with Kim Kardashian, is not a household name among traditional viewers despite having four million Instagram followers.
Industry observers note that producers deliberately targeted personalities with substantial online audiences to attract Gen Z viewers, aged 14 to 29. However, the core viewership of Strictly Come Dancing remains predominantly composed of Gen X viewers aged 46 to 61 and Baby Boomers aged 62 to 80.
The contrast between the show's traditional audience demographic and its social media-focused casting strategy has sparked widespread debate online. Numerous comments on official Strictly social media posts have questioned the identity of the celebrity contestants rather than expressing excitement for the upcoming series, prompting questions over whether replacing established hosts and experts with digital influencers risks alienating the show's core fanbase.
