Sisters Niamh Kinsella, Alma Kinsella and Ella Hendricken were seriously injured when a stolen BMW collided head-on with their car on the M9 motorway in County Kildare.
The crash, which occurred shortly before 3am on Sunday morning, also left their seven-year-old nephew with serious injuries and claimed the lives of all five teenage boys travelling in the stolen vehicle.

Niamh and Alma Kinsella, who are both in their 30s, are fighting for their lives in hospital after being trapped in the front seat of their Hyundai. Ella Hendricken, who is in her 20s, and her seven-year-old nephew were seated in the back of the vehicle when the collision happened.
The three sisters and the young boy were travelling northbound towards Dublin Airport ahead of a family wedding in Britain when the oncoming vehicle struck them.

Ella Hendricken works as a social worker in Carlow, while Niamh Kinsella is employed as a physical education teacher at a local school. Neighbors and community members described the family as "lovely" and "quiet" following the tragedy.
The M9 motorway is a major arterial route in Ireland connecting Dublin to Waterford in the south-east, passing through the rural terrain of County Kildare. Dublin Airport, located north of the Irish capital, is the primary gateway for international travel to the United Kingdom.

Fatal head-on collision on the M9
Emergency services rushed to Junction 3 on the northbound carriageway of the M9 in County Kildare following reports of the severe two-car impact. Garda officers arriving at the scene confirmed that all five occupants of the stolen BMW died in the collision.
The five deceased teenagers were identified as Kamil Pustkowski, Joe Carthy, Jeremy O'Brien, Alex McCarthy and Jack Kennedy, who were reportedly aged between 15 and 17.
An Garda Síochána, the national police service of Ireland, handles criminal investigations and road policing across the country. Garda investigators confirmed that all five teenagers were wearing masks or balaclavas when officers reached the crash site.

Father Tom Little, a parish priest from Carlow, said the family of those who suffered injuries are "bereft with sadness" following the disaster.
"It is a terrible, sad event," Father Little told the Irish Times. "It's very hard to comprehend what's happened. Everybody is hoping that those that are injured will make a full recovery."

Joyriding gang terrorised local communities
Garda sources revealed that the group of teenagers had been terrorising several communities across the Kildare and Carlow regions with break-ins and car thefts over the previous fortnight. Carlow is a county town situated south of Kildare along the River Barrow in Leinster.
The high-powered BMW involved in the crash had been stolen earlier that night and was spotted in several areas near Kildare before the fatal collision occurred.

Gardaí are confident that the same group carried out a burglary in the local area just hours before they died. Investigators are also probing whether the teenagers were involved in a series of attempted car robberies across the region throughout the night.
The teenagers had previously shared pictures online of the tools they used to break into vehicles. Security sources noted that the gang specifically targeted cars they believed lacked electronic immobilisers before taking them for joyrides.

Dangerous social media stunts before crash
In the days leading up to the collision, the teenagers frequently uploaded videos to social media platform TikTok showing themselves fleeing from police pursuits at high speeds.
One video shared prior to their deaths filmed a car's rear-view mirror with the caption "wrong way."

In a clip posted on TikTok, Kamil Pustkowski filmed himself shouting and playing loud music as his wing mirror reflected the flashing blue lights of a pursuing police vehicle. He was heard saying "that's a sick video boys" while trying to escape from officers.
The video was captioned "They got rammed get up. Cupra smoked," using local youth slang to indicate that they had evaded police pursuit.
In a separate post, Pustkowski shakily filmed his dashboard speedometer rapidly increasing. Another video showed blue police lights through his rear windscreen with the caption "No panic zone here."
Social media activity reviewed by the Daily Mail showed Jack Kennedy posting images of himself wearing balaclavas and smoking marijuana. Friends of the group posted online tributes after the crash, including a video of dangerous driving captioned "this one's for you, Kamil."
Another social media post displayed a picture of a balaclava with the caption: "Your bally (sic) you gave me the other day. My heart's in bits. Please, man. Don't do this to us, Joe."
Calls for new motorway driving legislation
Security sources stated that the five teenagers were part of an expanding group of youngsters attempting to "one up" each other by sharing increasingly dangerous driving videos on social media.
"These young guys have been terrorising communities for weeks if not longer," a source told the Daily Mail. "They go out and target cars they believe don't have immobilisers and then go out joyriding. Most of the time they were wearing masks or balaclavas but at times they'd show their faces. They did not care if they were caught as they knew they were underage and that there was little the courts system could do with them."
The source highlighted the operational challenges faced by law enforcement during high-speed chases. "I want to be clear here. These lads were not the only ones who have done things of this nature. It's becoming a growing social media trend and it's been a nightmare for gardaí to police because they are often ordered to stand down from pursuits because of the danger that chasing these guys could put the public in," the source explained. "It's a no-win situation for Gardaí here and now you have four innocent people who have been injured because of this recklessness."
Irish Justice Minister Jim O'Callaghan issued a strong warning on Monday, stating that criminals driving the wrong way down motorways will "end up in jail or in the grave."
Mr O'Callaghan confirmed he is considering new legislation to establish a specific criminal offence for driving the wrong way down a motorway, and pledged that specialised pursuit training for Garda officers will begin this year.
