Skip to content

Bringing you stories that vibe with your fashion

Traveling

Regine Bauny reopens Gers gite six months after storm

Regine Bauny has reopened her holiday property near Vic-Fezensac in southwestern France six months after Storm Nils devastated the Gers countryside.

Regine Bauny reopens Gers gite six months after storm

Regine Bauny, a 74 year old holiday home owner living alone in an isolated hamlet near Vic-Fezensac in the Gers department, has reopened her property to tourists six months after Storm Nils devastated her land.

The estate is fully booked for the summer tourist season following months of intensive restoration work, during which Bauny worked 10 to 12 hours a day to clear wreckage and repair damaged structures on the property.

Vic-Fezensac is a rural commune in Gers, a department in the Occitanie region of southwestern France known for its rolling countryside and agricultural tradition. A gite is a private self-catering holiday home popular across rural France, where property owners often convert traditional stone houses or farm buildings into tourist accommodation.

Storm Nils struck the property on February 12, uprooting eight large trees and damaging the main house, guest cottage, outdoor zipline, trampoline and garden swings. The storm also knocked out power lines across the region, leaving Bauny waiting alone in the dark for days until electricity was restored.

Bauny said the experience left her feeling isolated and abandoned, describing the storm as a severe blow that brought her to her knees just as she believed her gite development project was complete. She added that the fear of the prolonged dark continues to cause her anxiety six months later.

Community help and financial recovery

Rebuilding the property proved financially difficult after Bauny's insurance provider reimbursed only 30 percent of the repair costs, an amount she described as a pittance. To complete the work, she organized a community solidarity work camp, offering fallen timber as firewood in exchange for manual labor.

Her long-time friend Jonathan, a local young father, was the first to assist by cutting up the eight uprooted trees and bringing a generator to supply emergency electricity. About ten volunteers eventually answered the call to assist with clearing and repairing the site before the tourist season opened.

One volunteer, Carole, said she responded after seeing Bauny's appeal in the local daily newspaper La Depeche du Midi. Carole said the offer to exchange firewood for help sounded like a pleasant idea and provided an opportunity to meet people in the area. La Depeche du Midi is a long-standing regional newspaper based in Toulouse that covers news across southwestern France.

Before welcoming her first summer guests, Bauny hosted a large meal at the property to thank all the volunteers who participated in the restoration work camp.

New operational model and future plans

To cope with physical exhaustion and manage repair costs, Bauny altered her accommodation arrangements for the summer. Instead of letting out individual bed and breakfast rooms as she did previously, she now resides in the smaller gite herself and rents the entire 300 square metre main house to single groups and families.

The change has proven successful, with family groups booking the 300 square metre residence continuously throughout the summer and filling the house with activity after the storm had threatened to close the business permanently.

Bauny, who said she has endured numerous hardships throughout her life, considers the reopening a victory over adversity. She is currently preparing to publish a book about her life experiences, a personal writing project she has harbored for many years.

Widespread storm damage across Occitanie

The devastation at Bauny's estate was part of wider destruction caused by Storm Nils across southwestern France. Among other damaged attractions, the Madiran raptor park in neighboring territory suffered severe structural devastation during the storm.

Regional electricity grid failures left 12,600 households without power across the Occitanie region on the Monday following the storm, with blackouts heavily concentrated in the Haute-Garonne and Gers departments.

In the Gers department alone, storm damage to power infrastructure left 10,000 homes without electricity in the immediate aftermath of the storm.

Les dégâts causés par la tempête Nils privent encore des milliers de foyers d’électricité.

Related

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *