Eight missing Crimean tourists and six other climbers were rescued on Tuesday from Mount Elbrus after severe weather trapped them at an altitude of 5,300 meters.
Emergency workers from the Elbrus High-Altitude Search and Rescue Team of the Ministry of Emergency Situations evacuated all 14 people to Azau Meadow, where the climbers declined medical treatment.
The main search operation targeted a registered eight-person climbing team from Sevastopol that had been reported missing on Monday, August 17, after losing contact at 4:00 AM. Ground teams located the group in the mountain saddle area alongside six additional mountaineers who had also become stranded in the storm.
Fourteen rescuers and two specialized vehicles participated in the search and rescue effort, which lasted more than eight hours in high-altitude conditions.

Shelter in the Saddle
The team from Crimea, comprising two guides and six climbers, had taken refuge inside the Red Fox mountain shelter to wait out the storm. Group leader Vasily Rzhanov explained that the team was resting while waiting for a predicted weather window around 5:00 AM, having stopped just 50 to 100 meters short of reaching the summit of Mount Elbrus.
Rzhanov said the group did not expect anyone to come rescue them. He explained that they were already asleep when emergency workers opened the door and asked how they were doing, adding that everyone descended safely with the rescue crew.
Although the team had an official check-in deadline of 8:00 PM on Tuesday, August 18, climbers remaining at the base raised the alarm early due to deteriorating weather conditions. Initial reports suggested that the group lost communication because batteries had died in all their radios.
Climbing Experience
Rzhanov is an experienced instructor with the Federation of Sports Tourism of Russia and a long-time mountain guide. He has served as a participant and judge in regional mountaineering competitions and has extensive experience on peaks across the Caucasus, Pamir, and Tien Shan mountain ranges. In 2023, he participated in an Elbrus expedition commemorating the 240th anniversary of Sevastopol.
Members of the expedition spent several months preparing for the climb before traveling to the Caucasus. Mount Elbrus, located in the Kabardino-Balkar Republic, stands as Europe's highest peak at an elevation of 5,642 meters, with Azau Meadow serving as its primary resort base.



Disputed Reports
Following the rescue, Rzhanov dismissed reports circulating in news outlets and on social media claiming that a 14-year-old child was part of the missing expedition.
Rzhanov said there was no child in the group, noting that emergency personnel were also surprised by the false report. He added that the team was registered with emergency services, which held complete details on all participants along with their official route plan.
All eight members of the registered group were adults from the Crimean peninsula, and no injuries were reported among any of the rescued mountaineers.
